Bedrock erosion, transient erosion, knickpoints, stream morphology and hydraulics, passive margin landscape
evolution, soils/weathering in alluvium and on paleosurfaces, tectonic geomorphology.
Ph.D. Earth Resources, 1990, Colorado State University, Advisor: Stanley A. Schumm
Dissertation: Adjustment of alluvial river morphology and process to localized active tectonics
M.S. Geology, 1985, Pennsylvania State University, Advisor: Thomas W. Gardner
Thesis: Hydrology of surface-mined land: A determination of minesoil control on infiltration capacity and runoff modeling of disturbed watersheds
B.A. Geology, with honors, 1981, Earlham College, Richmond, Indiana
Recent Publications (undergraudate student coauthors underlined)
- Busch, J., Greer, L., Harbor, D., Wirth, K., Lescinsky, H., Curran, H.A. and de Beurs, K., 2016. Quantifying exceptionally large populations of Acropora spp. corals off Belize using sub-meter satellite imagery classification. Bulletin of Marine Science, 92(2), pp.265-283. DOI: 10.5343/bms.2015.1038
- Pazzaglia, F. J., Carter, M., Berti, C., Counts, R., Hancock, G., Harbor, D., Harrison, R., Heller, M., Mahan, S., Malenda, H., McKeon, R., Nelson, M., Prince, P., Rittenour, T., Spotila, J., and Whittecar, R., 2015, Geomorphology, active tectonics, and landscape evolution in the Mid-Atlantic region: Field Guides, v. 40, p. 109-169. (GSA Baltimore Meeting) doi:10.1130/2015.0040(06)
- Marshall, J., Barnhart, A., Butcher, A., Freimuth, C., Khaw, F., LaFromboise, E., Landeros,, M., Morrish, S., Olson, E., Ritzinger, B., Stewart, D., Utick, J., Wellington, K., Wenceslao, L., Gardner, T., Harbor, D., Osborn, S., 2015, Beachrock horizons of the Nicoya Peninsula, Costa Rica: Geomorphology, petrology, and neotectonic significance, in Wang, P., Rosati, J.D., Cheng, J., (eds.), Proceedings of the Coastal Sediments (2015), v. 8, World Scientific, Singapore, p. 2984-3003.
- Garcez, R., Humston, R., Harbor, D., Freitas, C., 2014, Otolith geochemistry in young-of-the-year peacock bass Cichla temensis for investigating natal dispersal in the Rio Negro (Amazon - Brazil) river system, Ecology of Freshwater Fish, DOI: 10.1111/eff.12142
- Val, P., Silva, C., Harbor, D., Morales, N., Amaral, F., and Maia, T., 2013, Erosion of an active fault scarp leads to drainage capture in the Amazon region, Brazil: Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 39:1062-74.DOI: 10.1002/esp.3507 (view at publisher)
for complete list of publications & activities, see vita.
Stuff in process (student coauthors underlined)
- Harbor, D.J. and Rahl, J.M., in revision, Progressive erosion of orogenic plateau margins caused by drainage basin reorganization: evidence from the eastern Puna Plateau, central Andes
- Fox, N., Harbor, D., Telfeyan, K., in prep, Grain weathering indices in river terrace studies. For submission to Southeastern Geology.
Recent Meeting Abstracts (student coauthors underlined)
- Harbor, David; Wilkinson, Clare; Helgans, Elliott; Kuehner, Joel P., 2015, Mechanisms and Rates of Plucking of Experimental Bedrock Blocks, American Geophysical Union Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA, EP21A-0888. https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm15/meetingapp.cgi/Paper/80875
- Harbor, David, 2015, invited, Delayed and Episodic Erosional Dissection of an Uplifted Appalachian Margin, Geological Society of America Annual Meeting, Baltimore, MD. Paper No. 9-5. https://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2015AM/webprogram/Paper267517.html
- Wilkinson, Clare; Helgans, Elliott; Harbor, David; Kuehner, Joel P., 2015, Flume Investigation of Channel Bedrock Erosion by Plucking, Geological Society of America Annual Meeting, Baltimore, MD, Paper No. 291-2, https://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2015AM/webprogram/Paper263882.html
- Elium, E., Freeman, J, Kapasi, M, Wilbur, J, Biemiller, J, and Harbor, D, 2014, Field and Flume Exploration of Channel Bedrock Erosion by Plucking, Geological Society of America National Meeting, Vancouver, BC, https://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2014AM/webprogram/Paper250264.html
- Biemiller, J, Harbor, D, Kraal, E, 2014, Imbricated boulders in Athabasca Vallis: were they quarried by megafloods or lava flows? 45th Annual Binghampton Geomorphology Symposium, Knoxville.
- Val, P., Silva, C, Harbor, D., Morales, N., Maia, T., and Aamaral, F., 2013, Erosion of an active fault scarp leads to drainage capture in the Amazon region, Brazil. Geological Society of America, National Meeting Denver.
- Wnuk, K., Harbor, D., Rahl, J., and Biemiller, J., 2013, Episodic erosion dynamics affecting depositional basins of northwest Argentina, Geological Society of America, National Meeting Denver.
- Harbor, D., Meyer, R., Connors, C., 2013, Constraining Cenozoic uplift of the central Appalachians using river profiles and relict surfaces. 8th International Conference on Geomorphology (IAG), Paris.
- Harbor D., Rahl J., Bovay C., Galli, C., Sberna, D., Hartman, R., 2013, Drainage rearrangement and sediment production in response to uplift of the Andean Eastern Cordillera, NW Argentina . 8th International Conference on Geomorphology (IAG), Paris.
For complete list of publications and abstracts, see my vita.
Student Research Supervision