Bedrock erosion, transient erosion, knickpoints, stream morphology and hydraulics, tectonic geomorphology, passive margin landscape
evolution, soils/weathering in alluvium and on paleosurfaces.
Ph.D. Earth Resources, 1990, Colorado State University, Advisor: Stanley A. Schumm
Dissertation: Adjustment of alluvial river morphology and process to localized active tectonics
M.S. Geology, 1985, Pennsylvania State University, Advisor: Thomas W. Gardner
Thesis: Hydrology of surface-mined land: A determination of minesoil control on infiltration capacity and runoff modeling of disturbed watersheds
B.A. Geology, with honors, 1981, Earlham College, Richmond, Indiana
Recent Publications (undergraudate student coauthors underlined)
- Busch, J., Greer, L., Harbor, D., Wirth, K., Lescinsky, H., Curran, H.A. and de Beurs, K., 2016. Quantifying exceptionally large populations of Acropora spp. corals off Belize using sub-meter satellite imagery classification. Bulletin of Marine Science, 92(2), pp.265-283. DOI: 10.5343/bms.2015.1038
- Pazzaglia, F. J., Carter, M., Berti, C., Counts, R., Hancock, G., Harbor, D., Harrison, R., Heller, M., Mahan, S., Malenda, H., McKeon, R., Nelson, M., Prince, P., Rittenour, T., Spotila, J., and Whittecar, R., 2015, Geomorphology, active tectonics, and landscape evolution in the Mid-Atlantic region: Field Guides, v. 40, p. 109-169. (GSA Baltimore Meeting) doi:10.1130/2015.0040(06)
- Marshall, J., Barnhart, A., Butcher, A., Freimuth, C., Khaw, F., LaFromboise, E., Landeros,, M., Morrish, S., Olson, E., Ritzinger, B., Stewart, D., Utick, J., Wellington, K., Wenceslao, L., Gardner, T., Harbor, D., Osborn, S., 2015, Beachrock horizons of the Nicoya Peninsula, Costa Rica: Geomorphology, petrology, and neotectonic significance, in Wang, P., Rosati, J.D., Cheng, J., (eds.), Proceedings of the Coastal Sediments (2015), v. 8, World Scientific, Singapore, p. 2984-3003.
- Garcez, R., Humston, R., Harbor, D., Freitas, C., 2014, Otolith geochemistry in young-of-the-year peacock bass Cichla temensis for investigating natal dispersal in the Rio Negro (Amazon - Brazil) river system, Ecology of Freshwater Fish, DOI: 10.1111/eff.12142
- Val, P., Silva, C., Harbor, D., Morales, N., Amaral, F., and Maia, T., 2013, Erosion of an active fault scarp leads to drainage capture in the Amazon region, Brazil: Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 39:1062-74.DOI: 10.1002/esp.3507 (view at publisher)
for complete list of publications & activities, see vita.
Stuff in process (student coauthors underlined)
- Harbor, D.J., Wilkinson, C., Helgans, E., Kuehner, J.P., submitted, Initiation of plucking in rapidly varied flow, Geosphere (10/31/16)
- Harbor, D.J. and Rahl, J.M., in revision, Progressive erosion of orogenic plateau margins caused by drainage basin reorganization: evidence from the eastern Puna Plateau, central Andes
- Fox, N., Harbor, D., Telfeyan, K., in prep, Grain weathering indices in river terrace studies. For submission to Southeastern Geology.
Recent Meeting Abstracts (student coauthors underlined)
- Wilkinson, Clare; Harbor, David; Keel, Daniel; Levy, Simon; Kuehner, Joel P., 2016, Sensing fluid pressure during plucking events in a natural bedrock channel and experimental flume, American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, San Francisco, CA, EP33D-1011, https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm16/meetingapp.cgi/Paper/176196
- Cuilik, Michael, Helgans, Elliott, Harbor, David J., Barnhart, William D., 2016, Quaternary geomorphic history of the Hoshab fault, southwestern Pakistan, Geological Society of America Annual Meeting, Denver, CO. September, paper 347-13, https://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2016AM/webprogram/Paper287620.html.
- Harbor, David; Wilkinson, Clare; Helgans, Elliott; Kuehner, Joel P., 2015, Mechanisms and Rates of Plucking of Experimental Bedrock Blocks, American Geophysical Union Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA, EP21A-0888. https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm15/meetingapp.cgi/Paper/80875
- Harbor, David, 2015, invited, Delayed and Episodic Erosional Dissection of an Uplifted Appalachian Margin, Geological Society of America Annual Meeting, Baltimore, MD. Paper No. 9-5. https://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2015AM/webprogram/Paper267517.html
- Wilkinson, Clare; Helgans, Elliott; Harbor, David; Kuehner, Joel P., 2015, Flume Investigation of Channel Bedrock Erosion by Plucking, Geological Society of America Annual Meeting, Baltimore, MD, Paper No. 291-2, https://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2015AM/webprogram/Paper263882.html
- Elium, E., Freeman, J, Kapasi, M, Wilbur, J, Biemiller, J, and Harbor, D, 2014, Field and Flume Exploration of Channel Bedrock Erosion by Plucking, Geological Society of America National Meeting, Vancouver, BC, https://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2014AM/webprogram/Paper250264.html
- Biemiller, J, Harbor, D, Kraal, E, 2014, Imbricated boulders in Athabasca Vallis: were they quarried by megafloods or lava flows? 45th Annual Binghampton Geomorphology Symposium, Knoxville.
- Val, P., Silva, C, Harbor, D., Morales, N., Maia, T., and Aamaral, F., 2013, Erosion of an active fault scarp leads to drainage capture in the Amazon region, Brazil. Geological Society of America, National Meeting Denver.
- Wnuk, K., Harbor, D., Rahl, J., and Biemiller, J., 2013, Episodic erosion dynamics affecting depositional basins of northwest Argentina, Geological Society of America, National Meeting Denver.
For complete list of publications and abstracts, see my vita.
Student Research Supervision