Transient erosion, knickpoint erosion, stream morphology and hydraulics, passive margin landscape
evolution, soils/weathering in alluvium and on paleosurfaces.
Ph.D. Earth Resources, 1990, Colorado State University, Advisor: Stanley A. Schumm
Dissertation: Adjustment of alluvial river morphology and process to localized active tectonics
M.S. Geology, 1985, Pennsylvania State University, Advisor: Thomas W. Gardner
Thesis: Hydrology of surface-mined land: A determination of minesoil control on infiltration capacity and runoff modeling of disturbed watersheds
B.A. Geology, with honors, 1981, Earlham College, Richmond, Indiana
Recent Publications (undergraudate student coauthors underlined)
- Gonga-Saholiariliva N., Gunnell, Y., Harbor, D., Mering, C., 2011, An automated method for producing synoptic regional maps of river gradient variation: Procedure, accuracy tests, and comparison with other knickpoint mapping methods. Geomorphology. (view at publisher) doi:10.1016/j.geomorph.2011.07.013
- Gunnell, Y. and Harbor, D., 2010, Butte detachment: where pre-rift geologic structure and drainage integration drive escarpment evolution at rifted continental margins. Earth
Surface Processes and Landforms.Vol. 35(12), p.1373–1385. View at publisher
- Gunnell, Y. and Harbor, D.,2008, Structural Underprint and Tectonic
Overprint in the Angavo (Madagascar) and Western Ghats (India) — Implications
for Understanding Scarp Evolution at Passive Margins, Journal
Geological Society of India Jubilee Edition, Vol.71, June 2008,
- Harbor, D. and Gunnell, Y.,2007, Along-strike Escarpment Heterogeneity
of the Western Ghats: A Synthesis of Drainage and Topography Using Digital
Morphometric Tools, Journal Geological Society of India (special issue on Western Ghats) Vol.70, September 2007, pp.411-426. high-res
pdf 4.5 Mb low-res
- Humston, Robert and Harbor, David, 2006,
Geologic Analyses for Evaluating Watershed Heterogeneity: Implications
for Otolith Chemistry Studies. Proc. Annu. Conf. Southeast. Assoc.
Fish and Wildl. Agencies. 60:132–139 pdf copy
- Harbor, D., Bacastow, A., Heath, A., Rogers, J., 2005, Capturing variable knickpoint retreat in the central Appalachians, USA, Geographia Fisica E Dinamica Quaternaria. v 28, p 23-36. (PDF)
for complete list of publications & activities, see vita.
Stuff in process (student coauthors underlined)
- Val, P. F dA., Lima da Silva, C., Morales, N., Harbor, D., Ibeiro, O. L., Maia, T. F.,dA., in revision., Erosion of an active fault scarp leads to drainage capture in the Amazon region, Brazil. Iin revision for Earth Surface Processes and Landforms.
- Harbor, D.J. and Rahl, J.M., in revision, Progressive erosion of orogenic plateau margins caused by drainage basin reorganization: evidence from the eastern Puna Plateau, central Andes
- Fox, N., Harbor, D., Telfeyan, K., in prep, Grain weathering indices in river terrace studies. For submission to Southeastern Geology.
Recent Meeting Abstracts (student coauthors underlined)
- Val, P., Silva, C, Harbor, D., Morales, N., Maia, T., and Aamaral, F., 2013, Erosion of an active fault scarp leads to drainage capture in the Amazon region, Brazil. Geological Society of America, National Meeting Denver.
- Wnuk, K., Harbor, D., Rahl, J., and Biemiller, J., 2013, Episodic erosion dynamics affecting depositional basins of northwest Argentina, Geological Society of America, National Meeting Denver.
- Harbor, D., Meyer, R., Connors, C., 2013, Constraining Cenozoic uplift of the central Appalachians using river profiles and relict surfaces. 8th International Conference on Geomorphology (IAG), Paris.
- Harbor D., Rahl J., Bovay C., Galli, C., Sberna, D., Hartman, R., 2013, Drainage rearrangement and sediment production in response to uplift of the Andean Eastern Cordillera, NW Argentina . 8th
- Harbor, D., 2012, Do river profiles reveal the recent history of the Central Appalachians? Geological Society of Washington, 1462nd Meeting, May 9, 2012.
- Harbor, D., Gunnell, Y., Hancock, G., 2011 Episodic and long-lived river incision along geologically heterogeneous passive margins (Invited). AGU Annual Meeting, EP53C-06.
- Harbor, David J., Rahl, Jeffrey M., Bovay, A. Caroline, Galli, Claudia, Sberna, Doug, and Hartman, Ryan. 2011 Geomorphic change and sediment production in response to uplift of the Andean Eastern Cordillera, NW Argentina. Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, Vol. 43, No. 5, p. 283
- Rahl, Jeffrey M., Harbor, David, Galli, C.I., Staffo, Kristin, Hartman, Ryan, Sberna, Doug. 2011. Using sedimentary provenance to reconstruct the rise of the Eastern Cordillera, NW Argentina. Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, Vol. 43, No. 5, p. 49.
- C. Bovay; D. J. Harbor; J. M. Rahl; K. Staffo; C. Gall. 2010. Valley fill in the Andean Eastern Cordillera: a response to transient incision of the Río Iruya, NW Argentina, American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, EP53D-0644.
- K. Staffo; J. M. Rahl; D. J. Harbor; C. Galli; C. Bovay. 2010. Do Neogene foreland basin sediments of the Orán Group, northwestern Argentina record changing conditions in the Eastern Cordillera? American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, EP53D-0643.
- Dere, A., White, T., Brantley, S. L., Jin, L., Harbor, D., Townsend, M., 2010, Shale weathering rates across a continental-scale climosequence. World Congress of Soil Science, Soil Solutions for a Changing World 19: D1.2, 25.
For complete list of publications and abstracts, see my vita.
Student Research Supervision