Transient erosion, knickpoint erosion, stream morphology and hydraulics, passive margin landscape
evolution, soils/weathering in alluvium and on paleosurfaces.
Ph.D. Earth Resources, 1990, Colorado State University, Advisor: Stanley A. Schumm
Dissertation: Adjustment of alluvial river morphology and process to localized active tectonics
M.S. Geology, 1985, Pennsylvania State University, Advisor: Thomas W. Gardner
Thesis: Hydrology of surface-mined land: A determination of minesoil control on infiltration capacity and runoff modeling of disturbed watersheds
B.A. Geology, with honors, 1981, Earlham College, Richmond, Indiana
Recent Publications (undergraudate student coauthors underlined)
- Garcez, R., Humston, R., Harbor, D., Freitas, C., 2014, Otolith geochemistry in young-of-the-year peacock bass Cichla temensis for investigating natal dispersal in the Rio Negro (Amazon - Brazil) river system, Ecology of Freshwater Fish, DOI: 10.1111/eff.12142
- Val, P., Silva, C., Harbor, D., Morales, N., Amaral, F., and Maia, T., 2013, Erosion of an active fault scarp leads to drainage capture in the Amazon region, Brazil: Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 39:1062-74.DOI: 10.1002/esp.3507 (view at publisher)
- Gonga-Saholiariliva N., Gunnell, Y., Harbor, D., Mering, C., 2011, An automated method for producing synoptic regional maps of river gradient variation: Procedure, accuracy tests, and comparison with other knickpoint mapping methods. Geomorphology. (view at publisher) doi:10.1016/j.geomorph.2011.07.013
- Gunnell, Y. and Harbor, D., 2010, Butte detachment: where pre-rift geologic structure and drainage integration drive escarpment evolution at rifted continental margins. Earth
Surface Processes and Landforms.Vol. 35(12), p.1373–1385. View at publisher
for complete list of publications & activities, see vita.
Stuff in process (student coauthors underlined)
- Harbor, D.J. and Rahl, J.M., in revision, Progressive erosion of orogenic plateau margins caused by drainage basin reorganization: evidence from the eastern Puna Plateau, central Andes
- Fox, N., Harbor, D., Telfeyan, K., in prep, Grain weathering indices in river terrace studies. For submission to Southeastern Geology.
Recent Meeting Abstracts (student coauthors underlined)
- Elium, E., Freeman, J, Kapasi, M, Wilbur, J, Biemiller, J, and Harbor, D, 2014, Field and Flume Exploration of Channel Bedrock Erosion by Plucking, Geological Society of America National Meeting, Vancouver, BC, https://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2014AM/webprogram/Paper250264.html
- Biemiller, J, Harbor, D, Kraal, E, 2014, Imbricated boulders in Athabasca Vallis: were they quarried by megafloods or lava flows? 45th Annual Binghampton Geomorphology Symposium, Knoxville.
- Val, P., Silva, C, Harbor, D., Morales, N., Maia, T., and Aamaral, F., 2013, Erosion of an active fault scarp leads to drainage capture in the Amazon region, Brazil. Geological Society of America, National Meeting Denver.
- Wnuk, K., Harbor, D., Rahl, J., and Biemiller, J., 2013, Episodic erosion dynamics affecting depositional basins of northwest Argentina, Geological Society of America, National Meeting Denver.
- Harbor, D., Meyer, R., Connors, C., 2013, Constraining Cenozoic uplift of the central Appalachians using river profiles and relict surfaces. 8th International Conference on Geomorphology (IAG), Paris.
- Harbor D., Rahl J., Bovay C., Galli, C., Sberna, D., Hartman, R., 2013, Drainage rearrangement and sediment production in response to uplift of the Andean Eastern Cordillera, NW Argentina . 8th International Conference on Geomorphology (IAG), Paris.
- Harbor, D., 2012, Do river profiles reveal the recent history of the Central Appalachians? Geological Society of Washington, 1462nd Meeting, May 9, 2012.
- Harbor, D., Gunnell, Y., Hancock, G., 2011 Episodic and long-lived river incision along geologically heterogeneous passive margins (Invited). AGU Annual Meeting, EP53C-06.
- Harbor, David J., Rahl, Jeffrey M., Bovay, A. Caroline, Galli, Claudia, Sberna, Doug, and Hartman, Ryan. 2011 Geomorphic change and sediment production in response to uplift of the Andean Eastern Cordillera, NW Argentina. Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, Vol. 43, No. 5, p. 283
- Rahl, Jeffrey M., Harbor, David, Galli, C.I., Staffo, Kristin, Hartman, Ryan, Sberna, Doug. 2011. Using sedimentary provenance to reconstruct the rise of the Eastern Cordillera, NW Argentina. Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, Vol. 43, No. 5, p. 49.
For complete list of publications and abstracts, see my vita.
Student Research Supervision